top of page

What tools does the Wellbeing Coordination need to reduce violent behaviors?

In our most recent research on violence in schools we have studied the indicators of well-being and coexistence in schools: what they are, how to measure them and what action plans can help us to improve school coexistence.


We have focused on these indicators because every day has shown that every 12 minutes there is a case of violence in which only 10% will have support since the remaining 90% were not identified, or was identified but not followed up. And as a consequence, the student ends up withdrawing from school, having to look for a school again, make friends, advance in their academic learning and adapt to a new reality. All because from coexistence they did not know how to solve the problem.


Now, based on these figures, some schools may have better or worse results, it will depend on the investment in coexistence made and the number of students they have. But the important thing is not to look at whether “they are better or worse” but to understand the particular dynamics of each one to improve their indicators.


For this, we have designed some questions that the well-being and coexistence department should have on the radar to make better decisions and reduce violence within the school: p>

  1. How do we define violence within school?

  2. How often are there situations of violence?

  3. What are the violent behaviors and impulses that generate these episodes of violence? Why do they occur?

  4. Is our monitoring of the dynamics of violence effective?

  5. What tools do we need to reduce violent behavior among students?

  6. How much time are we spending training our students and teachers in their social-emotional skills?


The first two questions allow us to understand the social dynamics within the school, the third and fourth allow us to understand the moments or events that trigger the students' behaviors, and the last two help us to act, to execute actions that materialize positive results in which bullying at school has decreased drastically.


When we work with schools there is a particular tool that we use and it is Role Play which develops our personality, self-regulates our emotions, allows us reflect on our past actions and develop our imagination and creative ability to solve problems.


This tool is frequently used in clinical psychology because what underlies it, its latent content, is psychodrama: a therapeutic technique that integrates the body, emotions, thought and behavior . Here feelings and emotions intensify as we seek to relive, in a protected and safe context, difficult moments that the person has experienced.


For now let's stop here, because in our next article we will talk more about this tool to reduce violence.





Comments


bottom of page